| The MCAT | Applying to Medical School | Premedical Resources | MSAR | Potpourri | Site Map | Home |
read the advise below if you are unsure if you should retake
I did not receive scores I am comfortable with from the April
MCAT, should I retake the MCAT in August? Our curriculum at F&M is structured
such that few students are in a position to take the MCAT before
the Spring of the Junior year. Unfortunately, this affords most
of you only one opportunity to take the test and maximize your
chances for admission. The decision whether to repeat the MCAT
is therefore difficult, particularly if only one of your scores
is low (below the National mean). Retaking the MCAT in August results in your application
being held up for review, as your file will remain incomplete
till late in the Fall. As a rule of thumb, it is best to ask
yourself if you think you can raise your score at least two points
in the section(s) in question. If the answer is yes, it is likely
wise for you to retake the MCAT in August. It
is important to consult with either myself or a representative
at a medical school admissions office in making this decision."
- The "NEW
comprehension is not "reading" at all
out as much as you can about the MCAT now.
the MCAT three times, you really have no choice.
semester physics and orgo ARE necessary for the MCAT.
- how many questions missed ... in order to get a 9, 10,
11, or 12?
- What if the VS or PS will drops?
- If I do inform AMCAS of my intent to
retake the MCAT, they would put a hold on my application
until the August scores came in. Isn't that correct?
much time does it take for the MCAT to be received by the AMCAS?
- You should complete, or be close to completing, two years
of chemistry, one year of physics and one year of biology before
taking an MCAT prep course.
- apply to schools outside the US
since they do not weigh the MCAT as much
do they normalize these scores to take
into account the differences in difficulty of testing material?
38 on the MCAT is like having a GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card!
- should you apply BEFORE you take the MCAT
- what do you think about the practice
tests and items on aamc?
they are not generally very "user friendly", but do
have some advantages over their competition.
- Do you know how medical school admissions
boards tend to view learning disabled students who require additional
time on exams, including the MCAT?
- what kind of documentation needs to
be presented by a person who has ADD
- while your
GPA is competitive, your MCAT scores are not.
- The MCAT will change in 2003, but the change will be minor.
Kaplan book will not be outdated.
can I get prepared knowing that I...forgot
most of what I have learned
in college ?
- What is the difference between Kaplan & Princeton Review?
it hurt me to take the MCAT in August 2003 for
admission for fall of 2004?
are the best courses to take, outside
the prereq's, to best help prepare for the MCAT?
- what is a good review for the mcat
you agree with this generalization
when applying to give yourself two points in either way with
each MCAT score?
more points may represent less than 20 more questions correct
out of 219.
8, P: 11, B: 13 , and WR: P.
- the majority of applicants with MCAT
scores below 30 are not accepted to medical school.
accurate are practice tests in predicting
success on the MCAT.
as much as possible, and stay focused
the appropriate logic leaps from outside knowledge to information
presented in the passages"
- I am planning on taking the MCAT over
in August. Do you think I should?
- Can you suggest any other study materials?
- The only problem is the 8 in verbal reasoning
- To have a good
shot at a top 20 school you need a 30+.
website that had analyses of past MCAT exams
- I have taken the MCAT twice and was
if schools will consider my best individual MCAT test score or
- I was diagnosed with a reading disability
- I'm considering taking the August exam
and wanted to know how my application would be handled if I choose to do so.
I retake in August?
- Would I be screened out early in the
application process because of low scores in VR and WS?
- Would it look really bad if I take
MCAT 4 times? I heard the ad.com. knows if you voided your score.
Is that true?
- I was wondering if applying early would
be more advantageous than retaking the test and applying late.
- Please let me know if I should retake
in August. Thanks!!
should not take the MCAT until you have taken physics
- Most schools will not accept MCAT scores from 1995
- what I should do with the previous
score in terms of sending them or not
that sit on the desk
section, and a possible method to improve
- i have a very serious question regarding
verbal section How to improve your score.
practice tests such those in ...
VR ... Should I take the MCAT again
your GPA you need a minimum of a 12, 12, 12 on the MCAT
- i need your advice badly on which preparation
material is the best
do not recommend taking an MCAT course unless you have taken
there anything else I need or that
you recommend as I commence my preparation...
- Why do undergraduate science classes
(physics and chemistry)put so much
on mathematics if the MCAT doesn't
really require a lot of
- Is a one point increase
in the verbal and bio significant
- I was wondering if a mistake is possible,
long does it take to get the results
from the August MCAT?
- You probably do not need to retake the MCAT, you have a terrific
background, but you definitely should retake it.
type of mistake in the scoring of my test
- amount of time
required to prepare for the MCAT
do medical schools put so much weight on the VR?
the MCAT a test that requires undergraduate study at university?
about the verbal b/c it was so hard
for me the first time
- If you kick ass on the MCAT you DO
have a chance
- I really don't want to retake.
- Do you know where I could get a list
that have been on previous MCAT's?
- PURCHASE MCAT PRACTICE TESTS
- do I go on and send in the AMCAS application or do I wait until my scores come in for the Aug. test?
- I took a prep course, but it was not
beneficial. I would like to improve my total MCAT score.
- I'm worried that the med schools will
look at the 8 on PS and my overall
gpa instead of the 11 VR and 13 BS and my 3.5 science gpa.
- What is an average score for the MCAT
and what score do you need to apply to most schools.
MCAT prep books
- I am trying to decide between the Princeton
Review and the Columbia Review home-study
- How long an MCAT
score is "good" for?
- I would like to take the MCAT in the
spring of next year 2001. Would I be well prepared with gen. chem., org.
chem., inorg., chem. and a physics course to do this?
- i was looking for any web site that
might have a practice test of the
mcat scores and gpa i need to get in a med school like harvard
been looking for a well regonized course for the MCAT
- I am a freshmen...Can I take the test
right now or have to wait for few years. How do I register for the test ?
- I took the Kaplan prep course and I
want to try something else. What other choices do I haveand
what do you recommend.
that I score well on the MCATs (say
11s or 12s) do I have a decent shot? And might my cloudy notions
of my future
path preclude me from admission?
you think that I should take the MCAT in August and
apply my senior year instead of my junior year?
question is how much weight is carried by the undergraduate school, and whether or not my extracurricular activities,
and GPA (3.6), will make up for the school's lack of size and
- My question is how
do I apply to take this MCAT exam,
and the procedures to follow.
it ever too early to take the MCAT? Can
I take it as many times as I would like?
- I did take physics and biology courses,
and of course, general chemistry but did not know if those would
be enough to beconsidered for MS. Furthermore would these courses be enough to help me on the
- I do not want to take courses such
as Kaplain since I heard
negative remarks about them. If you are interested in setting up some sort
of help sessions please email me with any suggestions you might
have on preparing
took the MCAT in 94. How long are the scores good for?
- Hi. I am interested in taking the MCAT
you mail me an application?
classes are required that I take in college, so that I can take
the MCAT's in the spring semester of my junior year.
- Rich, How would I find an MCAT tutor like youin Winston-Salem, N.C.?
- i have a question regarding taking
is the maximun number of times one allowed to take it?
- I have read some recent literature
that states that you could void scores. I wanted to know if that
was possible and how does one go about doing it. Also, do you
recommend voiding scores?
would i be able to find the minimum scores for MCAT that different
medical colleges in the US require for entrance?
it make sense to pursue taking the MCAT even if I don't have
a pre-med background?
advise what preperation courses there are for the medcats in
- I feel I would do poorly on the Verbal
Section. In your opinion, what's the best way to prepare for
this section? i haven't studied for the verbal section at all outside of the practice tests. i just
figured that having completed a master's thesis would surely
help my ability to read and understand the verbal section.
haven't done "jack" for the verbal section,
feel like I'm shouldn't have the AAMC release my scores, please tell me what I should do at this point.?
- tell me the minimum mcat score i should get to be considered
as a good candidate
- I have heard in the past that med schools
do not accep tmcat scores that are older than 2 years, and do not accept course credit that is older
than 5 years.
- I did not release the scores from April
because I was
very unsure of my performance at that time. I am goingto take
it again in August. When I apply, will both scores be released.
If not does that look bad? (should I just send them both anyway?)
can I tell my daughters since they
are so emotionally distraught as a result of their MCAT scores?
- This school offers majors in Biology
and Chemistry,which major would give me a better chance at
doing well on the MCATand trying to
get into Med School.
have not taken organic chem. or physics. Without
these courses is it possible to get a 26 or higher on the MCAT?
- I took first organic and lab and received
B's then took second organic and received a D+...Will scoring in the double digits on the Mcat
overcome that problem?
- I would like your advise on whether
I should retake in August/April or go ahead and apply? I scored 11 on BS, 11 on PS, but a 7 on VR
- I sent my app lication already on the
earliest possible date.I'm still deciding on whether to retake it
is my understanding that you can take the MCAT ''non-reporting''
and that in doing so no med school
gets yourresults. However, if you receive a high MCAT score and
decide to release them then you can. Is this true? What are the
pro's and con's to doing this?
| The MCAT | Applying to Medical School | Premedical Resources | MSAR | Potpourri | Site Map | Home |
a lot of research about each of the schools
I get a waiver in some courses because
of my Veterinary degree?
- you are getting "limited" clinical experience
for acceptance to a top tier medical school
- to what extend does it matters what Undergrad college you go
- I need to know if I am eligible to study medicine in the U.S.A
premed programs on the West coast
- Would it be to my benefit to retake?
- application to medical school at 50
am concerned about my interviews ...
I am very behind in my current events.
- I know that I want to go to Med School,
but I do not know what to expect once I get there.
- what exactly counts as a science
GPA at most schools?
- Do I have a chance of getting into
- Your chances
out of state depend a lot on which schools you apply to.
- Is there any penalty for applying to a school the second year
if you were rejected the year before
- I live in the Midwest and there is
need for Spanish speaking medical professionals
- Here's the averages for Stanford in 2001:
- Do you think it's too ambitious to
try to learn physics and take the MCATS in one summer?
- What is the procedure to apply for med school
and would my credits be transferrable from law school?
- I hvae no idea which schools have good
- Can a foreigner with a bachelors
in biochemistry apply for medical school in the U.S.?
premed and med school option
- Would a Masters or a Post bacc program
be better for me?
of shrooms is no deal breaker
- You need some A's to have a legitimate chance of getting into a U.S. allopathic program.
- Since your GPA is low a 27-30 on the MCAT would give you
shot at a DO school
- If one's objective is to get into an Ivy League/top med school, how
important is the choice of a post bac premed program?
- I am a lieutenant in the navy
- acceptance into medical school at the age of 43?
have gotten my GED and i need to know
if i have to take any other classes before i go to premed?
- the personal statement
is only 1 page right?
- Would it be better if I were to re-take
calculus for a grade?
- spend one year in a postbac program (gen chem, orgo chem, physics,
- i am a senior in high school and i
want to go into a MS in future but i am not sure which major will help me the most?
of pre-Med programs in the U.S.
- Because of your GPA I do not think you have a reasonable chance for acceptance to med school
without some postbac education.
- My friend told me that in order to
get into medical school, I have to go to a big University
or better schools. Is this true?
- TIMELINE FOR BECOMING A OBGYN
- make up for your lack of clinical experience
- year-long programs for college graduates
who didn't take pre-med courses in college --
Bac Programs --
- 2nd yeard of PreMed in Europe,more
exactly in Romania. Is there any chance I can transfer?
- The most useful website I know of is Google.com
- I do not believe you have a shot at a "BS/MD program"
- I'm feeling pretty bummed out having
- accepted to a California state school.
- I was a medical student in nigeria
- I have considered studying medicine in Germany
- Will majoring in Biology
minimize my chances of getting in to a MS?
- U.S. Medical Schools--Puerto Rico
- The more
contact you have with patients and with medicine the more
solid the clinical experience.
was thinking of e-mailing some of the schools
I plan on applying to and querying them as to whether they would
see me as a competitive applicant-and/or ask about MCAT scores.
activities...Letters of recommendation...MCAT prep
- What is your opinion of taking math
and science courses pass/fail?
- Is there anything else I can or should do
with the year I have left before I apply...
- What are my chances
- Could a masters program possibly
- include all of your experiences in your AMCAS application
is your best bet,
odds would be near 50%.
working in a lab or doing a masters program
be a better use of my year off?
- medical schools in the states generally
do not accept any work from other medical schools before
- I have a link on the premed resources page concerning Caribbean
- Right now you are
still in the game
option for getting back on the med
- all the trouble that has been going
on with AMCAS
range of experiences
- I am thinking about attending a Black
College or University.
- how long it takes
schools to receive the application after
it has been submitted to the AAMC.
- Is my application still considered
relatively early in the process?
- Even if you do well at Orgo the second time around it will not help
- Your best bet is to take an intro physics course.
- what kind of disadvantages there are
for an international
best master's programs would be in the areas of
- Would a medical school even look at
someone who took 10 years to get on the right track?
bacc programs versus a MS program
- applying to schools such as Harvard,
Hopkins and Stanford
- Should I apply to grad
- should even bother applying to the
big name schools (e.g. Stanford, Harvard, Duke, Columbia, etc.),
are my chances?
- regain the knowledge
that has "evaporated" over the years
year accelerated masters programs
decision or top school
knowledge of medicine Part II
entrance to med. school for a year
- I received AP credit
- What significance does this jr.
college GPA have on entrance to med.
- Would doing well in Math Grad School help
me to get into medical school?
- do my pre med requirement at the same
time as I get my RN.
- how much I hurt my chances by delaying
the primary application by abour 10-15
- How useful is my previous knowledge of medicine?
- ...becoming a radiologist
and i need some information about what they do,
- Can he transfer to a University in the US?
or will he have to start a medical
School program from scratch.
- go on to grad school and do
good for 2 years and get a MCAT score of 38
- I'm currently living overseas
- going to a small (10,000 people) school
- Do schools request your high
- science GPA, do I count all of my math classes
- most medical schools will reject your application because
you do not have the necessary requirements
- I'm trying to decide when I should
in my application.
- courses I'll have to take to statisfy
the MedSchool admission process
undergraduate record will have no significant effect on the
odds of you being accepted to medical school.
- Medical schools all make independent evaluations of the "strengths"
of different schools.
- I would want to become a radiologist
- Does retaking classes help
or hurt you?
- I believe it is best for you to seek out a pre-health advisor and meet face
- what does an undergraduate need
to get into med school?
- Does that look bad when you take
over a course?
- Do you think that going to a high
ranking undergraduate school with a
competitive pre-med program will be factored into assessing my
- is it possible to transfer from an osteopathic school to medical
- Do I have a chance of getting in to
med school even though my major is not biology and/or chemistry?
- UCLA 3.6 GPA major in Neuroscience.
MCAT in April VR 7 BS 10 PS 10, August VR 9 BS 10 PS 11.What
are my chances?
- I sent my apps...how long does it take to hear?
GPA of a 3.0 gives you a very poor chance
a part time load
- all other things being equal, paid work is more desirable than volunteering
- I later plan to transfer my credit to a 4 year college
- What about in the case of someone who
goes on to recieve a second bachelor's degree and
has raised their grades considerably
or 7 year Med Program
undergraduate grades are given very little weight
- wondering if these earlier bad grades are
going to kill me
- I want to know if the admissions will
all the GPA's together
- How can I go about taking organic chemistry while working until
5 in the evening?
- how kosher it is to send in letters that have been residing with me for over a
- Would I significantly hurt my chances
of getting into med school by attending UT?
- I'm currently in a m.s. program in Epidemiology,
(thesis), have about a 3.8 or 3.9
- volunteering at emergency room
- advice on what classes to take
- The cheating thing
school in the Caribbean would probably be your last choice
got married and am taking the year off.
I am now in the process of applying to medical school for next
year. Does taking this time off look bad to med schools?
- what kinds of information I need to
include in the personal comments section of the AMCAS application?
- Do I have an advantage to get into the same medical school that a family member has graduated from?
- A complete listing of all schools that have Early Decision Programs (EDP), along with
application periods and notification dates, are contained in
- I have a question about the importance
or lack of concerning past academic history at schools other than the
one currently being attended.
- Are there special things I have to
do as a foreign
first year didnt go to well as I recieved
a B and B- in Chemistry and a B- and C in Biology.
- My last questions is although my GPA
is fine, it is from a small no name school.
How much will that matter?
of being accepted late in application cycle
- Generally your high school GPA and SAT scores are not used
to evaluate your qualifications to be accepted to med. school.
Canadian applicant help I
Canadian applicant help II
- Where could I
go to "catch up" on all of
the science require's that I didn't take in college...
- Canadian MS's
/ Will advanced standing for nursing hurt or help?
- information on
applying to medical school as a
- I have recently graduated (DEC 99)
from the University ofNebraska-Lincoln with a 4.0 GPA in Electrical
are my chances at being accepted?
- Yes it is possible
for you to become a medical student after becoming a licensed
- The problem with
Stony Brook is that there are too many
kids and we don't get as much attention from professors
- I had a 3.19 GPA in undergrad and so
far have a 4.0 in my prereqs at Tech. If I continue to do well
in my prereqs, do
I have a chance?
was wondering if this letter would have any weight
since it was a junior high teacher
- My worry is that med school admissions
will not look at chiropractic coursework
as favorably as undergrad coursework
does the admission process work?
- I was wondering when I should apply for medical school. Should I do it before I go overseas
med School has a high rate of accepting international students.
Programs / Early Acceptance programs
for High School students
- ...my grades from 5 or 6 years ago.
They were terrible.
want to pick the best school i can. i
don't know where to begin.
- My question to you is can you offer
some insights as to what I should do before and after I graduate
- New College does not assign letter
grades but rather evaluates students on a Pass/Fail system
you please tell me what classed I'd need and the skills I'd need
to get into pre-med?
is how does a "withdraw" look to medical schools?
- I'M 20 years old ...what advice can
you give me. ..am I too old to start pre-med?
i just convert the narrative evaluation into grades according
to my own judgement on the application?
- Since it has been some time since I've
been to school, should I try to go to a JC then a University, or should I try going straight for a University.
- What type of college to go to? What
courses to take? What extra-curriculars to choose?, etc. Also,
please include what type of SAT Scores are needed, and class
college application has a program "premed". I am confused,
and need help.
say it doesnt matter where you get your credits. That
Med-School just looks for the basic Chem and Bio credits , your
MCATS , and that your well rounded.So what I want to know is
is this true.
- My question is this :are "science" gpas calculated with
only science course grades or with
math grades as well?
are the basic premed requirements and
do I need to tell my son to go to a four year college and hope
he takes the right classes to qualify?
you aware of any premed courses offered through correspondance?
much of a difference it would make whether I took more biology-related
courses (like A.P. Biology or Organic
Chemistry, etc.) or did not take that many, but still had a good
want to go to the community college in my area
- During my freshmen year I recieved
D's in both the first semesters of Biology and G. Chem. I took
the second semesters of both and got C's. Currently I am retaking
the first semesters to change the D grades. My college allows
you to replace the first year grades below a C- with new grades
of a retaken courese.Will my retakign of these courses hinder my chance
of getting into med school.
- I read one of the questions you had
in your web site. It said thatthe school that you are transfering from could
have an affect on their accepting you...Is
- I have heard that there are one year
programs to complete the science requirements.
- I have dropped classes in
the past. Do I have a real chance at getting into medical school?
- I'm looking for what schools are out there.
- I guess my major problem is thati want
to be a doctor and don't know the best way to get there...
- I have completed all ofmy pre-med requirements
and have completed somemedical school requirements as well. I
am currently studying for the MCAT in April. Could you please
give me some advice on what I should do now!
just got accepted into a master program of
human nutrition from the University of Bridgeport, if i do well
in this program to raise my gpa up, do you think it will help
my chance for med school.
- I am a Physician Assistant and would
like to go to medical school. I did premed courses 20 years ago.
I retake the premed courses or should I take graduate science
my major in Biochem, give me an advantage over other applicants?
- do you of any medical colleges in the
United States that do not require a degree or MCAT test results
for admission into medicine?
would like to take as many courses as i can at community college,
before i transfer to a four year nstitution.
you suggest getting a second bachelors degree in premed or go
for a Masters?
you think I will be able to pass and do well in Organic Chemistry
with no prior chemistry experience if
I study very hard?
recently heard that a person applying to any medical school does
not need a bachelors degree is this so?
- I have already completed my first year
from the Aga Khan University Karachi. The problem is that I want
to transfer to a good medical college in the US.Could
you please help me out?
- Mainly, I'm asking whether being
a Paramedic will help me get into med
am an international student on an F1 visa, will
this be a problem when applying to medical school ?
am a RN who will be getting my BSN
in 1 year with 18 years of nursing experience behind me...Does
having this degree and experience make this a positive attribute?
- My Mom's an RN at a family practice.The
doctor she works for is very nice and said I could shadow him
next summer. The problem is I wasnt
planning on coming home. Do you this this would be worth it?
- I am very much interested in the Early
much weight is given to more competitive universities? Is there any one standard scale used to determine
how much a student's GPA should be inflated or deflated?
do understand now that i should send recommendation letters but
is it with the primary applications that i send it with or is
it with the secondary applications?
- He wants to attend medical school in
the United States, but would prefer to attend college in France. Do
you think this will hurt his chances of acceptance at medical
you know of programs that exist for a post-baccalaureat who is
- I am kind of in a bind about my app,
want to know if I would have better luck playing craps in Vegas
than med school.
do I know I have taking all the necessa ry pre-req's?
need an application from AMCAS. How
can I contact them via email or a website?
advisor recommended that I wait until senior year to apply
the fact that this school mainly specializes in teaching degrees
hinder my chances of acceptance
- i am not sure on the requirement for recommendation letters.
have a friend who is an engineer and is currently taking the
courses that he lacks to apply to medical school.
He is also planning on takingthe MCAT next spring. What are the
chances of him getting into medicalschool after being an engineer
for five years